A New Beginning

Hello, all!

Today marks the first day of a fresh beginning.  Beginnings are always the best because they are exciting and exhilarating! Entering this new year I have decided to finally put myself fully out into the world by blogging about one of my favorite passions: knitting!  

Just to give you a quick rundown of myself, I have been knitting for a long time and one thing that bothers me about the knitting world is that sometimes people make it inaccessible to others.  When trying to advance my own knitting abilities over the years, I often became frustrated when faced with a pattern that needed the exact and often expensive yarn from that obscure site online.  I mean that can be a big investment for a project I may not like and a pattern I may find exhausting!  So over the years, I started to create my own patterns using easily available yarns at my local craft store.  These yarns, although cheap, have given me the freedom to explore, create, and master many knitting skills.  For this blog, I hope to share these findings with others and show the world knitting can be easy, fun, and not require you to sell your first born for a nice looking project. :)

I love knitting and my ultimate dream is for the world to love it as much as me!  I hope that people who read this feel inspired and exciting about what's to come. :)

For this first post, I wanted to share a pattern for a cozy and warm afghan that I originally just wanted as a nice decorative piece in my living room. However, this afghan has quickly become my favorite napping buddy. I hope this brings others warmth and happiness this winter!  

Happy Knitting! 

Faux Bulky Decorative Throw

I created this pattern because I wanted a bulky looking afghan that was inexpensive and mindless to knit (don’t have to check the pattern constantly). This pattern definitely delivered. This pattern uses the affordable Caron One pounder, which I was able to get on sale using my local craft stores’ weekly coupons.  Note* This Afghan does soften up after the first machine washing.

Also I call this Afghan decorative but it has quickly become my favorite napping friend.  It is surprisingly warm and huge!  A perfect companion for winter. :)

Materials:
Yarn: Caron One Pound Worsted Weight Yarn (Sunflower-No Dye Lot, 453.6g/16 oz., 742/812 yds). I used two skeins of this yarn.  Use any color you want.  I picked sunflower to match my living room decor.

Needles: Size 15 circular needles (at least 29 inches in length). Working on bigger needles gives the illusion I used bulkier yarn.

Gauge: 11sts x 18 rows = 4 inches  (Worked in Moss Stitch Pattern)

Finished Measurements:  47 in. X 71 in.

Directions:
Cast on 127 stitches.  Work moss stitch pattern.

Moss stitch pattern-
(Work across an odd number of stitches, if want to adjust pattern)

Row 1: *K1,P1*.  Repeat pattern within * until the end of the row.
Repeat row one for every row until Afghan measures desired length.

Bind off, leaving about a 6 inch yarn tail.  Weave in all ends.

This pattern is provided for your personal, non-commercial use and may not be resold or shared. ©  2017 Rebecca McKenzie.  All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. This blanket is dope AF. Thanks for sharing. Seriously, I've been looking all over the interwebs to see if there were any patterns just like this (and me being too lazy to just try it out and see if it works). Also, your blog seems great. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Lindsay! I really appreciate the great feedback. I am so happy you are finding my blog so helpful! I have been gone for awhile but will get back to posting new content soon. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts