DIY: Make Your Own Stitch Markers

All over Instagram I keep seeing knitters with adorable stitch markers that I have been dying to have.  Needless to say these adorable charm stitch markers have been harder to find than I thought.  In addition, I need to be careful with my spending since we are a single income household right now.  So for the sake of being frugal and penny pinching, I went hunting for supplies in my craft room. Much to my excitement, I soon found everything I needed to make my own personalized stitch markers!   Using my limited jewelry making knowledge and my measly jewelry making collection, I set to work on making my own funky stitch markers. Below are some of my creations!


I think these turned out fantastic! I am absolutely in love with this easy DIY and I hope you will be, too!
Below is a tutorial on how to make your very own personalized stitch markers.  Enjoy!

Here are the things you will need:
Jewelry Jump Rings
Jewelry Pliers
Jewelry Toggle Clasps or Lobster Claw Clasps (I had some Toggle Clasps already and only used the rings)
Any fun buttons, old earring or bracelet charms, or any other fun small items with a place for inserting a jump ring


Step 1:
Take one jump ring and open the jump ring with the pliers by opening the ring to the side.


Step 2:
Place the button or charm on the jump ring.  Then place the clasp on the jump ring.



Step 3: 
Using the pliers, close the jump ring.



Step 4:
Enjoy your new fun and funky set of stitch markers with your latest knitting project. :)


The possibilities for this really are endless!  You can make all kinds of fun, funky markers.  You could make your own charms out of polymer clay for a more customized look or use puzzle pieces. I also think a small set of 5-6 markers would make a great gift for all your yarn crafting friends.  My mom is a crocheter so I plan to give her a set for her birthday this week and use lobster claw clasps, instead of the toggle clasps.

Please post any pictures if you decide to make your own!  I would love to see them!
Happy Knitting!

Comments

Popular Posts